I am a homeless veteran. What assistance is available?

Both the federal VA (USDVA) and the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) offer assistance.

The federal VA operates a program called HUD-VASH. To contact the federal VA call 877-424-3838. Eligibility; Veterans who are appropriate for this program must be VA healthcare-eligible Veterans. VA eligibility makes this determination. The public housing authority (PHA) determines if the Veteran participant meets HUD's regulations for this program.

When requesting assistance through the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA) you should call the Veterans Outreach and Recovery Program (VORP) at 715-409-3767. VORP staff work with community providers and professionals to provide assistance and connection to: Mental Health Services, substance use treatment, financial assistance, housing and utilities, claims and benefits assistance, employment and education, transportation, and many more services. Eligibility; All who have served in any component of the U.S. Armed Forces including those that have previously served and continue to serve in the National Guard and Reserve.

Show All Answers

1. How do I enroll in the United States Department of Veterans Affairs Healthcare System?
2. I am a homeless veteran. What assistance is available?
3. I am being called to active duty and have questions about my employer provided pension and health benefits. Where can I get more information about my benefits?
4. I have several questions about the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefit program. Is there a web page for the VA where I can get answers to frequently asked questions?