What is cost sharing and what can it be used for?

Cost sharing is funding assistance to landowners found to be eligible for financial help to install conservation practices. Some common practices are:

  • Diversions - used to protect areas from soil erosion and keep livestock feedlots dry and minimize potential manure runoff by diverting runoff water around the area.
  • Field windbreaks - used to control soil erosion by reducing wind velocities at the land surface. Refer to the Central Wisconsin Windshed Partnership Group(CWWP) Webpage.
  • Grade stabilization structures - are used to prevent gullies from forming.
  • Riparian buffers - establishing/enhancing vegetation to provide wildlife habitat and reduce sediment, nutrients, and pollutants from entering surface water.
  • Streambank and shoreline protection - planting vegetation to create wildlife habitat and protect the banks of streams and lakes against erosion.
  • Wetland development or restoration - construction of shallow water areas or destruction of tile line or drainage ditch functions to create or restore wildlife habitat.
  • Manure storage systems - a structure that stores manure, which increases available nutrients for crops and leads to savings on purchased fertilizers. A permit is required for all manure storage systems. The LCD highly recommends a minimum of six months' capacity so winter spreading and manure runoff violations can be avoided.
  • Barnyard runoff control system - a concrete barnyard system used to contain manure in areas of concentrated livestock activity, which minimizes potential manure runoff violations.
  • Other practices as listed under Wisconsin Administrative Code, Subchapter VIII ATCP 50.61 through 50.98.

Show All Answers

1. How do I get a zoning permit?
2. When do I need a permit from Land and Water Conservation?
3. How do I rezone my property?
4. Who can help me with shoreland erosion issues?
5. How do I prepare a nutrient management plan?
6. How do I report manure runoff?
7. What is cost sharing and what can it be used for?
8. Is there a fee for Land and Water Conservation staff assistance?
9. What is a POWTS?
10. What is the reason for POWTS regulation?
11. What is required of me as a POWTS owner?
12. Where can I find the regulations regarding POWTS maintenance?
13. What is the Inventory and Maintenance Program?
14. What is the on-line POWTS maintenance reporting system?
15. What happens if I refuse to do POWTS maintenance?
16. What if I pump my septic tank every year or every two years?
17. What do I do with my POWTS after a flood?