Portage County Solid Waste has teamed up with municipalities throughout the County to offer recycling of holiday lights. This free program is available now through January 31, 2024. Strands of holiday lights can be dropped off at any of the following locations:
- Portage County MRF (600 Moore Rd, Plover)
- City of Stevens Point Public Drop-off (100 6th Avenue)
- Recycling Connections (1100 Main St. Suite 120, Stevens Point) 9 am – 3 pm Monday - Friday
- Village of Amherst Village Hall
- Village of Plover, Veterans Memorial Park parking lot on the corner of Post Rd and School Dr.
- Village of Whiting Village Hall
- Town of Amherst Town Hall
- Town of Hull Municipal Building
- Town of Lanark Town Hall
Only strands of lights will be accepted, no lighted figurines, rope lighting, extension cords, bags, or garbage. Please empty bagged lights into the provided receptacle. If contamination becomes an issue at any of these locations, the affected location may suspend the program early.
Stands of lights should not be recycled curbside. They wrap around sorting equipment, similar to how hair wraps around a vacuum cleaner. They cause inefficient sorting and costly shutdowns to remove the lights from sorting equipment at recycling centers.