Military Records & Services

Military Records

Veteran status is required for separated service members to receive veterans' benefits. Because the general definition of a veteran is a person who served in the active military and was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable you will need a copy of your DD Form 214 to receive veteran benefits. Because this is a general definition we recommend all veterans, when released from active duty, bring a copy of their 214 into the county veterans office, we will help you get it recorded and begin the process of applying for benefits for which you are eligible.

If you do not have a copy of your DD Form 214 from service you can request a copy from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) by mail, fax, using Standard Form 180, or completing an online form and submitting the signature page you receive when you have completed the form.

If you have questions about veteran status you should contact your local County Veterans Service Office. You will want to have copies of your discharge (even if just IADT), and any medical documents that are pertinent to your injury while serving in the national guard or reserves. Records for actively drilling national guard and reservists should be available from your unit. You will need these documents so please contact your unit for them before your first appointment.

Replace Lost Awards & Decorations

To request a set of medals awarded during your service you will need to submit a Standard Form 180 requesting the re-issue of your medals. The NPRC will find your military records and forward them to the branch of service that you served in. This process may take several months to a year to complete. The program only allows a one-time reissue of the medal.

If the request is by a family member the family member must meet specific requirements of the active duty component in which the veteran served. The next of kin may apply for the medals.