Parking Tickets

Information regarding the payment or appeal of a parking ticket can be found on this page.

General Information

Parking TicketThis information applies to parking tickets issued by the Portage County Sheriff's Office only. It does not apply to other citations or parking tickets issued by other agencies.

How to Pay

Parking tickets can be paid by mailing a check or money order made payable to the Portage County Sheriff's Office. Do not send cash through the mail. Tickets can also be paid in person at the Sheriff's Office during regular business hours. Payment can be sent to:
Portage County Sheriff's Office
1500 Strongs Avenue
Stevens Point, WI 54481-3542

For your convenience, you can use the self-addressed envelope that was left with your vehicle. Correct postage is required. If you do not use the envelope provided, either enclose a photocopy of the ticket, or ensure you include your name, vehicle license plate number, and parking ticket number located in the top right corner. This will help ensure that you are properly credited for the payment.

How to Contest

You may request that an administrative review be conducted. Such requests must be in writing and explain why the ticket was issued in error.

Written requests for an administrative review must be received at the Sheriff's Office within 10 calendar days of issuance of the notice of parking violation. Requests that are not received within that 10-day window may be rejected as untimely.

Any correspondence should include your name and address so we can respond to you, Either enclose the ticket (or photocopy), or ensure you provide your vehicle plate information and parking ticket number located in the top right corner.

Administrative reviews are limited to determining whether or not the parking ticket was issued in error. Please restrict your appeal to addressing why the parking ticket was incorrectly issued and/or why your vehicle was legally parked at the time the ticket was issued.

You will receive a written response, determination, and additional information, usually within 10 days.

Consequences of No Action Taken

Non-payment of parking tickets will result in the suspension of your vehicle registration by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT), as well as the refusal of future registrations for all vehicles registered to the same owner. There are additional costs imposed to lift the suspension once it has been imposed. Once the suspension request is sent to WisDOT, the matter is no longer under the control of the Sheriff's Office.

A suspended registration means it is illegal to operate the vehicle. A citation for operating a motor vehicle with a suspended registration is $175.30 for the first offense.

When a person's registration is refused, the operation of a vehicle may be legal if the registration is not suspended or expired, but the person may not:

  • Renew the registration of any vehicle.
  • Register another vehicle.
  • Change the registration of any vehicle.
  • Obtain replacement license plates for any vehicle.
  • Transfer registration to another vehicle

In addition, WisDOT will suspend any non-expiring registration (for example collector plates) owned by that person after 30 days.

How to Get a Suspension Lifted

You must first pay the full amount due on all unpaid parking tickets. After paying, the Sheriff's Office sends a written notice to WisDOT usually within three business days.

You will then be required to pay WisDOT for the lifting of the suspension. Contact WisDOT to inquire about the amount of that payment. Normally, your registration privileges will be reinstated within seven to 10 days from the payment date (this includes mailing time).

Tax Refund Intercept Program (TRIP)

The TRIP is administered by the Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR). It allows state agencies, counties, and municipalities to collect debts from taxpayers/customers who are due to receive state or federal income tax refunds. TRIP may be used by parking authorities to collect fees related to unpaid parking tickets, traffic forfeiture judgments, and towing and storage fees.

When a customer files their federal or state income tax return and a refund is due, the parking authority may collect unpaid parking citations, court judgments, or towing/storage fees due from the amount of the individual's income tax refund(s).

The customer receives a Notice of Refund Offset from DOR explaining that their refund was applied to their debt. It also says that the authority may not get the money for a month or more. After the authority receives payment, the usual seven to 10-day period applies to remove the TV&RP suspension and/or refusal.

For more information, call DOR's Central Collections Section at 608-266-7879, option 1.