Advance appointments are required for in-person research.
We allow two people to search at a time. To make an appointment:
- Phone: 715-346-1428
- Email Register of Deeds.
The Portage County Register of Deeds office contains records available to the public, age 18 or over, who agree to the State of Wisconsin Administrative Code Conditions for Users of Vital Records Area (DHS 142.07) and can provide a valid photo ID.
People who wish to view records must complete a Vital Records In-Person Search Application and provide the names and dates of the records they wish to view.
Portage County's Register of Deeds/Land Description Office maintains a tremendous amount of important historical documents pertaining to the county. Historical documents maintained in the office and accessible to the general public are given as:
- Property Ownership
- Plat Maps
- Section Maps
- Land Patents
- Birth Records
- Marriage Records
- Death Records
- Two people are allowed in the research area at one time. This number is determined by staff based on work surface availability.
- For your own protection and to avoid suspicion all sweaters, coats, purses, bags, and briefcases must be stowed under the research table. We reserve the right to inspect all items brought in by you and used by you while you perform research.
- Register of Deeds staff has first priority use of all indexes and records to conduct their daily business.
- You assume all responsibility for conforming with the laws of library and literary property rights which may be involved in your use of the vital record.
- The use of certain records and indexes is restricted by Wisconsin Statute. This office reserves the right to restrict access to records that are not arranged or being arranged, records that are confidential, or contain confidential information.
- Sign in before entering the search area and present a picture ID.
- No children under twelve.
- Must search index prior to pulling record or volume.
- Respect staff's property to use indexes and records.
- No food or beverages are allowed.
- Only pencils are allowed.
- Do not alter/mark/write on any document or index.
- No cameras/video or duplicating equipment allowed.
- Refrain from loud talking.
- No cell phones are allowed in the office.
- Return indexes/volumes back to their proper place.
- Sign out when done searching.
- Only one verbal warning will be given. Continued violators will be asked to leave the office.
We thank you for your cooperation.