Family Law & Pro Se Divorce Information
- Guardian ad Litem information
- Restraining Orders information
- Self-Help Family/Divorce Forms Assistant Link - Wisconsin Court System site that assists you in filling out forms.
- Pro Se parties who complete these forms must have them reviewed by the Portage County Family Court Commissioner prior to being filed at the Clerk of Court's office.
- If the Family Court Commissioner is not in her office, place the documents with your contact phone number in the office drop box. (Located on the 1st Floor of the Courthouse)
- Walk in hours for assistance is on Wednesdays 12 PM to 1 PM.
Provided by: Judicare Legal Aid and Portage County Circuit Court
Location: Family Court Commissioner office1st Floor – Portage County Courthouse
Hours: Wednesdays from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The FLIC provides services for unrepresented litigants in Portage County family cases to assist with the forms and understanding the legal framework in family law matters.
- Pre-filing divorce questions
- Information for litigants to obtain a Certificate of Readiness to proceed to a stipulated divorce
- General questions about procedure if a divorce is wholly or partially contested
- General assistance in all family actions
- General assistance with post-judgment modifications
- Information on the Wisconsin statutes applicable to actions affecting the family
- Referrals to resources in the community that may also be of assistance
Assistance in most aspects of all the cases will be limited to helping parties identify which forms they need and how to get them, help in understanding the forms and the terminology, and what kind of information you will need to gather in order to properly fill out family court forms.
The FLIC is a legal self-help service (pro se service) and is not engaged in the practice of law. The FLIC shall not represent clients, offer legal advice or opinions, prepare forms for filing on a litigant’s behalf, or make referrals to specific attorneys.