Services & Functions
The purpose of the Portage County Register of Deeds/Land Description office is to provide official record keeping for all real estate, personal property, and vital statistics and to provide a convenient and public place where valuable documents can be filed and/or recorded. This department is also responsible for maintaining accurate legal descriptions, ownership and address, maps, and assessments as governed by State Statutes and based on documents recorded in the grantor/grantee records. To provide assessors with a hard/computer format of their prospective townships and to assist the municipalities with questions/concerns they may have. A cooperative working relationship with the various professionals and the general public is viewed as an integral aspect of its mission as is the continued awareness of statutory changes, automation, evaluation, and staff development to assure the quality and timeliness of its functions.
Our records consist of approximately 40,000 parcels. Portage County covers 810 square miles and 522,137 acres, 17 townships, 9 villages, and 1 city. The estimated population is 67,692.
- Where can I purchase a plat book?
- How do I change my name on my tax bill after a marriage or divorce?
- Birth, Marriage, Domestic Partnership, Domestic Partnership Termination & Death Certificates
- The names of both the husband and wife are on the deed, but now my spouse is deceased. How do I remove my deceased spouse's name from my deed?
- How can I record my document?
- Where can I get a deed form?
- How much does it cost to record a document?
- How do I obtain a copy of my recorded real estate document.
- How long does it take to get my deed back?
- Do I have to come to the courthouse to obtain a birth record?